Detroit Scroll - History Made - Detroit Driven
"During the 1930's Detroit operated one of the largest municipally owned public transportation systems in the world. By 1956, the original 3,000 Detroit streetcars were replaced by buses. On the old buses and streetcars passengers learned of the various stops by way of signs in the destination boxes. Such boxes contained a continuous, two sided canvas scroll with an alphabetized list of street names. The scrolls were manually operated by the drivers and operators using a hand crank.